Being used by thousands of businesses throughout the world, QuickBooks is considered one of the best accounting and financing software. QuickBooks accounting software helps businesses in invoicing customers, generating reports, paying bills, and preparing taxes. Even though QuickBooks comes with a lot of benefits, the fact that it is prone to a number of errors and technical glitches is also true. QuickBooks Connection Has Been Lost error is one such error that abruptly pops up on the user’s screen with an error message, stating, “ The Connection to the company file has been lost. QuickBooks must close immediately. Any unsaved data will need to be re-entered.”
It has been observed that QuickBooks Connection has been lost error often occurs when QuickBooks face some difficulty accessing the company file or the computer turns to sleep mode. Facing such kinds of errors when you need to do some urgent work with QuickBooks can be quite infuriating. Therefore, we have come up with this post to walk you through all the troubleshooting steps to get the QuickBooks Connection has been lost error fixed.
Recommended to Read : QuickBooks Display Issues
What are the factors that cause the QuickBooks Connection to server has been lost error?
Generally, QuickBooks Connection to the server has been lost error occurs when there is some damage done to the company file data. However, there are a number of other reasons also that can prompt the error, such as:
- The QuickBooks Desktop application might have been outdated.
- QuickBooks Database Server Manager might have been stopped because of some issues.
- Power saving options might have been enabled.
What should be done to fix QuickBooks Connection Has Been Lost error?
Solution 1) Manually update QuickBooks Desktop
- At first, exit QuickBooks Desktop.
- Open the Windows Start menu.
- In the search box, type “QuickBooks” and right-click the QuickBooks Desktop icon.
- From the drop-down menu, select the Run as administrator option.
- Go to the folder that contains the company file and select the company file.
- Press and hold the Alt key simultaneously on your keyboard.
- Now, right-click the company file and select the Open option.
Note: Keep holding the Alt key until the No Company Open window opens.
- On the No Company Open window, select the File menu and choose the Update QuickBooks Desktop option.
- On the Update QuickBooks window, click on the Options tab and then select Mark All.
- Hit the Save button.
- Now, move on to the Update Now tab and mark the Reset Update check-box.
- Click on the Get Updates button.
- Once QuickBooks updates are downloaded, close and reopen QuickBooks Desktop.
- Select Yes to install the downloaded QuickBooks updates.
- Once the installation of QuickBooks updates is done, restart the computer.
Solution 2) Restart QuickBooks Database Server Manager on the server computer
- On the server computer (the computer that hosts the company file), open QuickBooks Desktop.
- Select the File menu and choose the Open or Restore Company option from the drop-down menu.
- Next, you need to click on Open a company file, look for your company file and open it.
- Hit the Next button.
- Mark the Open file in multi-user mode check-box and then click on Open.
- Now, you need to log in to the company file.
- Again, select the File menu and choose the Close the Company/Logoff option from the drop-down menu.
- Now, press the Windows key to open the Windows Start menu.
- In the search box, you need to type “Database” and open QuickBooks Database Server Manager.
Solution 3) Resolve data damage issues
Step 1) Verify the company file data
- Open QuickBooks Desktop, go to the File menu and choose the Utility option from the drop-down menu.
- Under Utilities, you need to click on Verify Data and then hit the OK button to close down all the opened windows.
After running the Verify Data tool, if you see “Your data has failed the integrity check” in the result, you need to proceed to the following step.
Step 2) Restore a backup of the company file
- At first, select the File menu and then choose the Open or Restore Company option from the drop-down menu.
- Next, you need to click on Restore a backup copy and hit the Next button.
- Choose Local Backup and then click on the Next button.
- Now, you need to search for the backup company file on the system.
Note: Generally, back-up company files look like this: [The company name].qbb
- Now, choose the same place where your damaged company file is stored to restore the backup company file and click on the Open option.
- At last, you need to hit the Save button.
Solution 4) Disable power saving options on the server computer
- On the server computer, open the Windows Start menu by pressing the Windows key on the keyboard.
- In the search box, you need to type “Power Option” and open Power Option.
- At last, disable the sleep, standby, and hibernation modes.
In case the QuickBooks Connection Has Been Lost error persists even after implementing the steps mentioned above, then there is a great possibility that you have set more than one system as the server accidentally to host the company file. We suggest you make sure that your server computer is running in multi-user mode and workstations in single-user mode. Hopefully, we expect you find this post useful in resolving the QuickBooks Connection to Server has been Lost error.