Japan is located in East Asia at the northwest pacific ocean. One of the most populous countries, Japan has its capital in Tokyo. Japan is known worldwide for its traditional arts, such as calligraphy, tea ceremonies, and flower arranging. It is indeed a wonderful place to live in.
About Education System in Japan
The education system in Japan consists of elementary school of six years, Junior high school of three years followed by high school education of three years, and then college education. The year begins in April.
What is junior high school?
Secondary education in Japan comprises two parts – Junior secondary ( Junior high school) and upper secondary( Senior high school). Once the students complete six years of elementary education, they move to junior high school / junior secondary/middle school. The age of students ranges between 12 to 15.
There are four segments of education in junior high school- basic subjects, moral education, elective subjects, and extracurricular activities.
- Basic subjects – The eight basic subjects include Japanese education, Mathematics, Social studies, fine arts, music, health education, industrial arts, physical education, and homemaking.
- Elective subjects – It includes any additional language subject or subjects like arts and music.
- Moral education – The school conducts one hour of moral education lecture every week. You can appreciate the extent of importance they give to moral education and that is why they have incorporated moral education as a part of the education system.
- Extracurricular activities – The extracurricular activities include assemblies, sports, clubs, plays, ceremonies, field trips, musical events, educational guidance like crossing the road on roads with high traffic and using the library, etc. These activities are conducted within the campus and even beyond the campus.
How to get admission in Junior high school in Japan?
Generally students appear in the entrance exam for Junior high school admission. The exam is based on marks in entrance exams, extracurricular activities and grades. The admission for International schools in Tokyo generally begins in the month of august until april next year.
For admission in Junior high school in Japan you have to follow the following steps :
- Fill the online query form – Most of the schools have an online enquiry form in which you can place your details and submit the form. The school representatives will get in touch with you at the earliest.
- Virtual counselling on visiting campus – You can visit the campus or book a virtual tour of the campus. The virtual tour will help you to analyze the various facilities available in the campus. It is advisable that you prefer a list of questions before attending the virtual counselling so that you get all your answers and no stone is left unturned.
- Application form – Once you are satisfied with the facilities and education set up of the school you can fill the application form and attach the required documents like Birth certificate, Medical certificate, passport size photograph, proof of residential address. You should check the official website of the school where you are applying to verify if there is any other document requirement. You have to submit a one time application fee along with the form. In most of the schools, the application fee is non- refundable even if your child doesn’t get admission.
- Entrance exam – Your child needs to appear in the entrance exam for getting admission in junior high school.
- Fee payment – If your child is shortlisted then you have to pay the term one fees.
Why are International Schools in Tokyo preferred?
There are several International schools in Tokyo There are several International schools in Tokyo and they are preferred due to several reasons. Let’s take a look at it.
- Exposure to various cultures – We want our kids to grow as responsible and skilled citizens but we also want them to be generous and kind towards others so that the world can be a better place. In international schools, students from all walks of life and culture study together so they are exposed to varied cultures right from the beginning.
- International curriculum – the curriculum of international schools is not rigid. Rather multiple options are available in the international curriculum. This allows the parents to choose a curriculum based on their future goals. For example, if a parent is thinking of migrating back to his home country then they will prefer getting their child admitted to a school that is affiliated with the board of their country. Maybe a student might want to migrate to any other country like the UK, Australia, Canada, or New Zealand, then he can choose the curriculum accordingly.
- English language – Mostly all international schools in Tokyo have English as the primary mode of instruction. English is the most common language all over the world so that is why international schools in Tokyo are preferred.
- Bilingual culture – Studies have shown that learning two languages enhances the cognitive skills of the students. As high school education has the scope of learning additional languages, international schools prove to have an upper hand.
- Career opportunities – As students learn more than one language and they also participate in extracurricular activities so the students of international schools have better career opportunities than public schools. Because most employers demand an all-rounder.
- Individual attention to students – The ratio of a number of teachers to students is low as a result the students get individual attention. It enhances the growth of your child because the teacher will be able to better understand the skills and interests of your child and motivate him to do even better.
Is the education system in Japan good?
The education system of Japan is very good because it has the right mix of academics and extracurricular activities. Moreover, a separate subject of moral education is incorporated so that the students understand the importance of morals and values. Undoubtedly it is one of the best education systems in the world.
Junior High school education is quite important for your child because at the age of 12 to 15 your child starts to understand his interests and skills so make sure you do your research fully before getting his admission to any school. Choose a school that fully flourishes and nurtures his skills.
Initially, this may appear to be overwhelming but gradually you will be able to find the best school. Take one step at a time and one key that I would like to share is that start looking for the school well in advance so that last-minute rush can be avoided.